Axolotl - Aquariums - Someone had to take a tea bath today🤕


Someone had to take a tea bath today🤕

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 04:21 PM PDT

My new boy just lookin up at me when I’m tryin to feed him. Still haven’t named him yet but my girlfriend and I wanna do a Japanese name. Any ideas? Current contender is Ryuk

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 09:20 AM PDT

2 week old split Haploid/Diploid Mosaic tiger larvae

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 04:37 PM PDT

With his sex and adult size confirmed, Piccolo is ready for a tankmate. Meet Kami!

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 08:10 PM PDT

chillin' in the hammock 😎

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 05:01 PM PDT

Cycling question

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 10:57 PM PDT

How long should it take a fully cycled tank to get ammonia down to zero? I dosed my tank with ammonia and it went to zero. I then added more ammonia to see how quickly it got back down to zero and I'm wondering how long it should take if the tank is cycled?

submitted by /u/ras520
[link] [comments]

A whole lotta lotl babies!

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 02:02 PM PDT

So I picked up a 40 gal breeder, chiller, and stand from a guy today. He really seemed to want me to take his axolotl too. I’m not ready for one and wanted a dirty leucistic one when I was but I can’t stop thinking about this little face now 🥺

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 09:17 PM PDT

From an overwhelming amount of feedback we declare they’re names to be Ryuk and Shoko! Shoko already had her name chosen but Ryuk was up for debate. Now it is finalized! Got both of them in tubs till their tank is fully cycled.

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 09:12 PM PDT

I have been cycling my tank for 4 months to no avail (X-post from r/aquariums)

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 10:10 PM PDT

I'm looking for someone with a lot of aquarium experience to help me out with this cycling situation. I'm starting to get desperate. About four months ago I set up a 40 gallon aquarium to house a single axolotl. I spent quite a bit of money because this is something i'm very passionate and excited about, I have a lot of exotic animals but I have never had an aquarium before. I have been attempting to cycle my aquarium for nearly 4 months now, to no avail. Every time I ask for advice I get contradicting information from multiple people. Some are telling me that it is impossible to get my aquarium to process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Some are telling me to go ahead and add the axolotl despite my aquarium only cycling 1ppm ammonia every 24 hours because "axolotls will never produce more than 1ppm ammonia in a 24 hours period". Others are telling me that I should let my aquarium sit without adding any extra bacteria products. I honestly don't know what to believe at this point.

It has been to my understanding that a fully cycled axolotl aquarium can process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours, with a reading of 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites, and a reading of under 40ppm nitrates. This is what I am currently shooting for.

In total my entire setup cost around $700, mostly because I live in Arizona and I require a ¼ horsepower chiller in order to keep my aquarium in the low 60 degree range. I currently have a Fluval 307 canister filter, a secondary sponge filter rated at 40 gallons, as well as a Baoshishan ¼ horsepower chiller. I have already gone through one 2oz bottle of ammonia, two 1oz bottles of Fritz 700, and one bottle of Fritz but I can't seem to fully complete my cycle, no matter what I try.

I do not have anything in the tank currently, as I am doing a fishless cycle. On paper I believe I am doing everything right cycling wise. Here is my current cycling strategy:

Dose to 2ppm ammonia daily using Dr. Tim's ammonia.

Check parameters with API water testing kit

Do a 50% water change when nitrates reach the "red zone", around 80-120ppm nitrates.

I have already used quite a bit of Fritz 700 bacteria that I purchase from my local aquarium store. It seems to work most of the time, but I still cannot get my aquarium to process anymore than 1ppm ammonia in a 24 hour period. I've gone through two 1oz bottles of Fritz and a 4oz bottle (over a period of about a month and a half) that i'm pretty sure didn't do anything as I ordered through Amazon and the cold packs included in the package were no match for the Arizona summer heat.

I'm planning on adding another 1oz bottle of fritz to see if that will do anything.

Based on what i'm currently doing I don't understand what i'm doing wrong. The first time I tried to cycle I nearly completed it. My aquarium was processing 1.75ppm of both ammonia and nitrites in a 24 hour period. However I was dumb and once I had an algae bloom I freaked out and added algae fix, which seemed to have stalled the cycle.

My second time cycling I cannot seem to get the aquarium to process more than 1ppm ammonia in a 25 hour period, even when using refrigerated fritz 700.

ANY advice would be much appreciated. I've even considered looking into paying someone to cycle my aquarium for me, not sure if that is even a thing.

submitted by /u/keepmovingon69
[link] [comments]

Loxi on prowl for pellets

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 08:12 AM PDT

hungry copper baby's

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 09:57 PM PDT

Any advice or suggestions? Axolotl is 4-6 inches. Currently hiding in the rocks under the left sponge filter. Two pieces of Mopani wood with fake plants in-between them. I am probably going to get a smaller hid, when cycling and preparing wasn’t sure what size I would get so got the biggest.

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 02:04 PM PDT

Looking to give my axolotl a bigger variety of foods. Is this a good option?

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 07:26 PM PDT

I can't get the ammonia level down, I do 25% water change daily for 2 axolotls, I clean their poop (I don't see it all the time, I do have sand) and I'm stumped

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 09:34 AM PDT

I would like opinions from those with experience, what’s up with the “fatness”?

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 10:20 AM PDT

Can adult malnourished axolotls grow to the size they should be?

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 05:47 PM PDT

So for context, I took up an ad on Facebook marketplace for three axolotl's a couple months ago. They had them all in a 20 gallon tank, and they were severely underweight, malnourished, obvious signs of fungal infection on open wounds, as well as gills practically down to nubs. With constant treatment of Pimafix and aquarium salt, they no longer have fungal infections, and the gills are growing back. My main question is, can they grow in size, let alone weight, despite the fact they are over a year old?

submitted by /u/damalloy
[link] [comments]

Extremely high nitrates

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 05:40 PM PDT

What can I use to lower my nitrates if the water coming straight out of tap is over 160ppm

submitted by /u/drewmiester90
[link] [comments]

My tank is almost ready just need to lower the pH.The goldfish are just temporary we are going to take them out once we get the axolotl

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 10:33 AM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.