Crayfish Out for a stroll


Out for a stroll

Posted:

Got some new plants, my little lady seems to be a fan!

Posted:

Dinner ��

Posted:

Are tight fitting hides preferred?

Posted:

My tank has cycled and I got my first cray, a P Clarkii. I have some old decor in his tank like a large fake rock cave and a Pleco Ceramics (the brand) cave. My cray vastly prefers cramming himself in the ceiling crevice of the rock cave or navigating into tight spaces of a large mopani driftwood piece in the center of the tank. I thought the dark pleco cave would be appealing but he ignores it. Would he feel better if I replaced the bigger stuff with more driftwood and tiny caves? I know they love pvc but I am keeping a natural theme.

submitted by /u/agentofhermamora
[link] [comments]

Need Help - Crayfish Behaving Weird

Posted:

Crayfish ID Help

Posted:

They're plotting something...

Posted:

Color Conundrum

Posted:

Hey guys. I have a quick question for you all. I caught a red swamp craw out of a lake last year, she ended up with berries, and had a whole mess of hatchlings, which are now actually quite large after only a few months.

Now, here's the thing. The mother is the classic rust/red color that gives the species its common name. Her offspring have yet to acquire the same coloration, though. The largest of the litter (see photos of mother and child here https://imgur.com/a/9NTrQXN) is now nearly the same size as she is, but has an almost grey/silver-blue color (nowhere near the electric blue of, say, an aquarist's alleni, but there's a slight tint of blue, I think). The rest of the litter are similarly colored, although they seem to be less 'blue' and more grey than this particular one.

My question is, if the mother has such a pronounced rust color, why would her offspring turn out this greyish color? Is it just that they're still young and have yet to develop full adult coloration? I haven't seen any photos showing juveniles of this species with this color, so I don't think it's that, but maybe I'm wrong. Does it have something to do with being raised fully in captivity? Diet? Could there have been such a divergent color mutation in just one generation? Water conditions? The mother is in a separate tank from the hatchlings, but I use the same water and it's nearly an identical setup. I should also note that I'm not really trying to get a more pronounced red or anything, just very curious. Any and all insights are welcome!

submitted by /u/Micawberish
[link] [comments]

Excuse me, WHAT NOW!?

Posted:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.