Jarrariums - Uncut emerald


Uncut emerald

Posted: 09 Feb 2020 02:49 PM PST

Whiskey bottle

Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:25 PM PST

Started a saltwater jarrarium and plan to add some live rocks and soils in a month to see what comes out. Any tips ?

Posted: 10 Feb 2020 01:36 AM PST

My Jarrarium is a shrimp killer?

Posted: 10 Feb 2020 08:26 AM PST

Hi! I recently started a 2 gallon jarrarium. no soil, just 5lbs of black aquarium sand, some round stones (typically for stone paths), and plants from my 20G tank. A ramshorn and I believe a bladder snail hitchhiked their way over from the plants, and it's initial fill was with tank water to boost the cycle. After about a week and a single 25% water change, I added 2 neocaridina shrimp from my 20G. The next morning, both were dead. I tested parameters and everything matched the tank's water. 0 ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Neos are breeding like crazy in the 20G and dying in the jar. I added another single neo from the tank to the jar yesterday with the same outcome. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since setup. both snails are perfectly fine. filterless & heaterless jar

submitted by /u/xjvsteezy
[link] [comments]

What are these silver things next to the red mustard seeds?

Posted: 10 Feb 2020 01:44 AM PST

Overgrowth of algae biofilm solution: Snails?

Posted: 09 Feb 2020 05:56 PM PST

I have a jar (half a liter) that has been sealed for around 4-5 months now, it's got an aquatic plant inside some silt and dirt from a pond that I filled with water also from the pond. I seem to have set up a habitat for tiny crustacean like life forms (daphnia?) that float around and emphatically race towards any light I shine into it. It's been chilling at my dorm window. The plant has grown into its space nicely. However, a large buildup of some biofilm has begun to fill up the jar(not the first time). Each time this over growth of whatever it is shows up, my population of floaty bois seem to decline .

I'm considering dealing with the biofilm build up by getting some kind of snails. I'm thinking the pest ones that pop up in aquariums but I'm not sure if they can get the job done or not. If they can, can I buy them?(lol all of my local pet stores do not give them away or have them) thanks y'all.

submitted by /u/PizzaBlunder
[link] [comments]

Would yall consider this ecosystem or biosphere?

Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:08 PM PST

Can someone help me why my two similar jars ended up completely different after several weeks? (pictures and info in post)

Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:16 AM PST

Hello,

So I am just trying to understand why my two jars look incredibly different (one seems to be doing quite fine and the other...not so much) as a means to know what I am doing right/wrong, how to improve what I am doing, as well as to understand a bit about the ecological components going at work!

So, I have two jars..same size, same water, same substrate source, and same lighting and even the same number and type of rocks. Here is an image of the two: https://imgur.com/a/1rrWbPW

There are two primary differences.

1: Plants. Jar 1 consists of hornwort and mint charlie (both local) whereas jar two consists of hornwort and anubias which I purchased.

  1. animal life. Jar 1 has a snail (and it was evident from the beginning). Jar two had two scuds but they seem to be gone. Jar 1 also has two scuds that are still alive. Jar 1 also has nematodes and daphnia.

Now, what I am trying to understand is why is Jar 1 seemingly doing fine (at least for now), is full of life, and the plants are alright (well, the mint charlie is), whereas jar 2 has a ton of biofilm and essentially...goo.

I guess it comes down to either the plants or the animals (or both) that were in there from when I first made them, but I am trying to understand whether one would have a more profound impact over the other.

I am just asking this because I want to carry on with this hobby, but I do want to know why these (seemingly similar) jars turned out very different so I can avoid future jars sharing the same fate as jar 2!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Edit: one other slight difference is that jar 1 seems to have more space for air (so slightly less water)

submitted by /u/suchascenicworld
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.