Jarrariums - Sealed summer 2019 and never touched again, my jarrarium is still thriving! Video and additional images in comments.


Sealed summer 2019 and never touched again, my jarrarium is still thriving! Video and additional images in comments.

Posted: 12 Jun 2022 10:56 AM PDT

I completely forgot about Martha. I bet she makes life for my baby isopods a lot more interesting.

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 01:11 PM PDT

Ruined in one week, now what?

Posted: 12 Jun 2022 03:11 PM PDT

My First! (wish me luck!)

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 11:34 PM PDT

Do backswimmers eat shrimp? I made a jar ecosystem with a bunch of freshwater shrimp and a single backswimmer, will this sustain?

Posted: 12 Jun 2022 01:06 PM PDT

Can pond weed, the type with roots, survive and grow in a jar without being rooted?

Posted: 12 Jun 2022 02:36 PM PDT

[Time Lapse] Little over a month old.

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 02:57 PM PDT

My 1 Gallon Repurposed Fish Tank

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 09:30 PM PDT

I set up this one yesterday. Does it look like there’s too much water in the system? Should I open it up and let it vent?

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 10:00 AM PDT

Are all jars eventually doomed from CO2 buildup due to H+ ions, or can this be prevented?

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 06:35 PM PDT

Doing some research online, I came across this old Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jarrariums/comments/ehjid1/the_limit_what_will_collapse_your_ecosystem_no/

The poster (who appears to no longer be on Reddit) explained that all ecospheres, no matter how well constructed, will eventually die due to CO2 poisoning. H+ ions will build up in the water, which will react with calcium carbonate (if the system contains some; he advises adding some to keep acidification in check) to produce excess CO2. Over time, this CO2 will build up to imbalance the system.

What I'm trying to figure out is why this doesn't happen in the real world. What mechanisms keep this process in check, and how could we replicate them in a jar?

submitted by /u/poverty_pond
[link] [comments]

Found this guy in my gf’s pond water jar. Was hoping you guys might have an ID?

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 04:22 PM PDT

Is watercress sufficient as far as plants?

Posted: 11 Jun 2022 11:02 AM PDT

I've just started my first jars, with water and sediment from a local stream/ditch. There appears to be lots of life of different sorts; snails, flatworms, leeches, copepods, etc. Also some dragonfly larva that I will have to remove once the water clears up enough.

The only water plants around were some watercress. I added some to each jar, but since watercress tends to be an emergent plant I'm wondering if that is sufficient, or if I should find some other plants elsewhere. Where I'm at the local ponds and streams seem rather deficient in submerged plants.

submitted by /u/poverty_pond
[link] [comments]

Detritus worms died off?

Posted: 10 Jun 2022 09:36 AM PDT

I have a small jar with bladder snails in it, along with gravel and Java moss and I believe guppy grass. It's been going strong for months, algae coming and going, all under an LED daylight bulb. I did small water changes as needed. It had a good amount of detritus worms (tons actually, they'd be all over the glass until I turned the light on each morning) but now they're suddenly gone.

Any ideas as to how something like that can happen? I can't find a single one. Not even when I turn on the light.

I do have what looks like seed shrimp, their population is going up noticeably. Does that make a difference?

submitted by /u/StrikingLight5
[link] [comments]

The 6.5 gallon carboy is 7 months old now. It has come a long way. I had only normal LED light on it, no sun, and it kept going brown. Added growlights and boom, all green and growing.

Posted: 09 Jun 2022 06:33 PM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.