Aquatic Koi This is my mom’s pond. Is it big enough for two koi (~300 gallons)? I’m worried they don’t have enough space


This is my mom’s pond. Is it big enough for two koi (~300 gallons)? I’m worried they don’t have enough space

Posted: 04 Jun 2022 03:11 PM PDT

My Butterflies

Posted: 03 Jun 2022 01:09 PM PDT

Sad story about river otters tearing through a koi pond. Has one of the saddest photos you'll ever see ...

Posted: 03 Jun 2022 08:27 PM PDT

My baby Butterfly Koi, not yet big enough for the pond

Posted: 02 Jun 2022 06:19 PM PDT

A video my mom took of my family’s new koi. Mine is the white one with the orange head, her name is San

Posted: 02 Jun 2022 09:23 PM PDT

Dying koi

Posted: 03 Jun 2022 08:35 AM PDT

I inherited a koi pond when I purchased my home last summer. It's been a learning process in how to manage the algae and keeping the water clear. The past few weeks the water has been a little cloudy with a milky hue to it rather than green algae so I added algaefix and ecofix to try and clear up the water.

My house backs up to the woods so when I noticed one of my koi missing a couple weeks ago I though something may have snuck under the net and eaten the koi. Then I noticed a second one missing a few days ago.

Yesterday morning when I went to feed the remaining fish I saw one of the "missing fish" laying lifeless on the bottom of the pond behind a rock. Then I decided to drain some of the water and put fresh water back in when I noticed the first "missing fish" bloated and decaying behind the pond grass.

Sadly I removed both carcasses and filled the pond back up, added bactimax to the water to help condition the tap water and thought I was in the clear. Now today I walked out to find a third koi (out of a starting count of 5) not doing well.

Can anyone help me understand what could be causing these fish to die so suddenly? I used the ecofix and algaefix as per the instructions and have done that successfully for over a year so I'm not sure that it's those causing the problem but am open to all possibilities.

Tia for any experienced advice

submitted by /u/Hamiltonhoya
[link] [comments]

When should we take koi eggs out of the pond?

Posted: 03 Jun 2022 06:01 AM PDT

One of our koi is spawning right now but we don't see any males fertilizing the eggs. We have 6 other big koi that should be old enough to breed and a lot of smaller 2-4 year old koi. When should we collect the eggs / how do we know if they are fertilized? We already have an aquarium with a lot of fish fry from last week but they are most likely from our 'goldfish hybrid' (every year we have a lot of black baby fish and after 2 years some of them turn red, we don't know what (hybrid) species they are). The koi eggs will go in another aquarium.

Should we wait till tomorrow to increase the chance of the eggs being fertilized or should we take them out of the pond tonight?

Thanks

submitted by /u/babykois
[link] [comments]

I bought 65 baby koi. They're in my 100g aquarium for now. 1st month was okay, water parameters fine. Then I started feeding them lots of mosquito larvae, stage 4 where they develop wings. 4 days later I'm seeing 6 koi develop swim bladder issues. eventually 6 died. Is this larvae diet the culprit?

Posted: 02 Jun 2022 04:50 PM PDT

I need some help

Posted: 02 Jun 2022 11:17 AM PDT

pretty koi art!

Posted: 02 Jun 2022 05:58 PM PDT

Ayako Ishiguro (b.1973-) - Koi

Posted: 01 Jun 2022 04:04 PM PDT

This is my “baby koi”. Is it a koi or a goldfish? I thought the whiskers were only on koi?

Posted: 01 Jun 2022 10:21 AM PDT

Bog filter at the end of the system?

Posted: 01 Jun 2022 11:23 AM PDT

Hi folks,

I have been planning my pond for quite a while, and a question for those with more experience.

For reference I wan to built a circuit that goes Bottom Drain-->Sieve-->pump-->K+ Advanced filter-->raised Bog/Aquaponics

What I heard is that a Bog filter get quite dirty after a time, but I heard of it on Bog filter as standalone filter for a pond. With the system I have on mind I wouldn't expect a build-up of mulm on it, only quality water into some substrate with plant. Most likely it will require service once in a while, but I wouldn't expect to be as terrible as some people talk about bogs. Or would you think I'm a little bit deluded in my thinking?

Also for me aquaponics sounds interesting, but I want to make the bog to make it primarily something with nice plants to look at, instead of only food plants.

submitted by /u/ptometheus506
[link] [comments]

Found many of these in the reservoir for a water feature. What are they? Move like inch worms

Posted: 01 Jun 2022 12:22 PM PDT

What to do about bullfrogs in my koi pond?

Posted: 31 May 2022 12:49 PM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.