Goldfish - Aquariums - PSA: Is your goldfish tank undersized? (They need more space than you think!)


PSA: Is your goldfish tank undersized? (They need more space than you think!)

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 11:37 AM PDT

PSA: Is your goldfish tank undersized? (They need more space than you think!)

If you're new to goldfish or just want to learn more, reading through this sub's wiki is highly recommended!

Note On Tank Sizes:

  • 25-40 gallons is the bare minimum size needed for 1 fancy goldfish
  • 55-70 gallons is the bare minimum size needed for 1 single-tailed / common goldfish ((They get massive compared to fancies and need tons more space to grow and be healthy! Ponds are usually more ideal for them than tanks because of this!))
  • It's best to get a tank that's more long than tall snice goldfish are such active swimmers!

* If you or someone you know has a goldfish in a tank bellow the minimum size needed for their species and they can't be upgraded yet, I recommend getting one of these.

They're a safe, cheap way to give them 50 gallons!

Here is an example of such a setup. I did this for my own 2 young goldfish before I managed set up their 85 gallon!

I like to recommend going above the minimum rule-of-thumb size needed for 1 goldfish of either type, especially since goldfish are a social species! It's wise to go as close to double the minimum as possible. This way, they and a friend can thrive and grow together in lots of healthy space!

Getting an appropriately-sized tank from the start saves you time, money, and prevents you from stunting your goldfish's growth (it's not good to stunt them!). This also saves them from high concentrations of exposure to their own toxins (ammonia), the leading cause of many goldfish ailments! Bigger tank = less maintenance too! :)

Tanks Don't Have To Be Glass!

Many people don't consider this as an option, but stock tanks are a great option for a goldfish tank! Typically called above-ground ponds, container ponds, or pond tanks, these tanks are more durable than glass and cost less than glass tanks of the same sizes.

  • Here is an example of such a setup I did for my own goldfish!
  • Stock tanks can be bought from Tractor Supply or ordered from Amazon, the Walmart website or other sources!
  • Tuff Stuff is the brand of stock tank I use but Rubbermaid is a good option as well!

Goldfish Size: They get bigger than you think!

Those small goldfish you see in media, at fairs, and at pet stores? They're just babies! They have a lot of growing to do, and it's up to you to provide them with a big and healthy enough environment for them to achieve that growth!

Note: Goldfish are meant to grow throughout their 15-20 years of life and in a properly-sized environment, they grow the fastest in their first 2-3 years. Thus, it's important for their development that they have the right amount of space in that time. This way, they'll thrive and grow big and strong!

  • Example of a healthy adult common goldfish: (They continue to grow bigger from here!)

Source: WordPress

  • Example of an adult fancy goldfish: (They can get to be big as a tennis ball and bigger!)

Source: unknown

To Conclude...

Goldfish are big (really big!), long-living, personality-filled fish that have needs just like you and me! They need lots of space and strong filtration to grow big and strong and to thrive so they can reach their full size potential and long lifespan. There are affordable ways to give your water piglet what they need, and though pet stores tend to give fishy advice (pun not intended, unless...) there are lots of experienced folks online who are willing to help you out!

submitted by /u/Flora-Tea
[link] [comments]

Love goldfish so I painted one! :D Watercolor and acrylics on wood panel. Thanks for looking!

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:20 PM PDT

Do LEGO goldfish count?

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 06:19 PM PDT

My baby orandas. They look so shiny with some strong directional lighting!

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 09:14 AM PDT

Goldfish mating or fighting?

Posted: 08 Apr 2021 12:18 AM PDT

So I have two fan tail goldfish, and I was watching them and they started to chase each other's tail, like how bettas look when they are mating, but I don't know if they are mating or fighting. The smaller one does tend to follow the female around and I can't tell if it's a male or a fella just yet. Has anyone come across this?

submitted by /u/Background-Ad-7428
[link] [comments]

Anyone that can help? I refresh the aquarium every other week, but it doesnt seem to help in the slightest.. It's really starting to become devastating to see this. Ive had it for 2 years now and still can't control it for some reason. No hate please

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 11:47 PM PDT

What do you think?

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 05:39 PM PDT

What's wrong with my goldfish? Scale/Fin Issues

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 04:23 PM PDT

I recently rescued my goldfish from a pretty bad environment and I noticed this cloudy film/ white stuff on his eyes. Can I treat this? What is it?

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 12:14 PM PDT

Help: Pelvic Fin/Tail tear or fin rot?

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 09:26 AM PDT

Aquarium water turns cloudy within a week?

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 04:16 PM PDT

First time Reddit poster, also on mobile, I can't figure out how to add the picture of my tank

So I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 fancy goldfish & a snail. I think they're fancy goldfish but after seeing other posters fishies now I'm unsure. I had smaller gravel in the bottom of the tank but recently switched it out for bigger gravel after one of my fish sucked up a rock & couldn't spit it back out & ever since then the water has turned cloudy within a week. We made sure the new gravel was rinsed off really good before putting it in the tank so I'm not sure if something is off otherwise? I checked the water with the API 5 in 1 strips that read for nitrate, nitrite, pH, general hardness & carbonate hardness. The pH was a little low & the nitrate was low. Will either of those be causing the cloudy water or is it something else? Do I actually need a bigger tank for my fish? I've had them for almost 2 years but I am definitely not educated on everything fishie related. Thank you in advance for help/ suggestions!

Edit: here's a picture of my tank https://imgur.com/gallery/fAYx1bI

submitted by /u/Historical_Ant_4317
[link] [comments]

All groomed.

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 07:28 PM PDT

I’m upgrading my tank, what should I know before hand?

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 02:32 PM PDT

Does it need cycling, or Will adding the water from the old tank & filter that's already mature be fine as it will just be like a large water change?

Anything I should know to make the move easier on the fish?

submitted by /u/RealLaezur
[link] [comments]

Goldfish seems sick. Info in comments.

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:59 PM PDT

Dropsy

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:42 PM PDT

Today my goldfish seemed to be acting lethargic and now that I'm looking closer I think the scales are slightly started to pine cone but it's very slight, either that or it's just the scales in general, he's also lying on his side barely moving, I'm assuming I should start treatment just in case, also I don't have any epsom salt on hand and can't go out to buy any

submitted by /u/Satan1432
[link] [comments]

My only panda left. Are they more prone to disease? All my other guys have active and eat well.

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:12 PM PDT

Upgrade time!

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 07:08 AM PDT

So I want to upgrade the hell outta my current tank. My 2 goldfish are in a 30 gallon, and I always planned on upgrading, sooner rather than later, as they're requiring more frequent water changes. I already have a 55 gallon filter in my 30 gallon tank, and my bubbler is 55 as well. I was waiting to finish painting and selling off some old furniture in my hallway so I can put a tank there. But I'm really tempted to get a 75.. then what's stopping me from 100!? But if I do that, I can really get a variety of plants and goldfish in there! But it may make the hallway a bit narrow. Lol anyway, if you have tips on what I can mix with the goldfish, and where I might find a large tank that isn't thousands of dollars, and tips on decor gravel etc I would love the advice!! Thank you!

submitted by /u/KATPanek
[link] [comments]

Sick fish, help!

Posted: 07 Apr 2021 04:27 AM PDT

Help! Sick fella

Posted: 06 Apr 2021 10:12 PM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.