Aquatic Snails My snail has morphed into an octopus nose


My snail has morphed into an octopus nose

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 04:46 PM PDT

My coworker got me a sticker that looks exactly like my snail as a present!

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 12:06 PM PDT

Nerite Tracks

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 06:29 AM PDT

Always swim with a buddy.

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 04:36 PM PDT

Found another white shell variant of a rabbit snail this morning! This one is a triangle rabbit snail (tylomelania sinabartfeldi) this time.

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 12:40 PM PDT

These Spixi Snails don't eat a lot like other snails do, but I like the way they look.

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 08:34 PM PDT

My dearest Sneega being an absolute madlad. Excuse my phones' keychain slamming into my desk near the end of the video.

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 01:23 PM PDT

Lil guys are growing up!

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 09:40 PM PDT

He’s special to me because he’s my only dark foot, gold shell

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 07:27 AM PDT

zoomin

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 08:56 PM PDT

Japanese trapdoor snails being peaceful as fuck

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 06:05 PM PDT

The last movements of my largest snail, Cesar. Why do my snails climb out of the water before they die?

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 05:56 PM PDT

I’m new to snail owning

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 04:10 PM PDT

Snail playing dead? More in comments

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 09:35 PM PDT

Newbie here... a couple of questions???

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 05:46 PM PDT

Hiya! I'm new. New to the sub, and new to fish-keeping, snail-keeping, anything-aquatic-keeping. This will be long. Forgive me. TLDR at the end maybe??

Little bit of backstory (that I love telling):

Both my fiancé and I are fairly inexperienced in this stuff, but we do as much research as we can and try to give our creatures the best lives possible. My fiancé was given a mystery snail by a friend and experienced aquarist. This is (was) the first and only snail either of us has ever owned. All is good for a few weeks, then all of a sudden she starts laying eggs like crazy. Think ~7 clutches. Lots of babies. We researched and saw that snails can store sperm for months, so that answers that question.

Anyway, she's obviously laying way too many eggs for us too handle. We disposed of about 3 clutches and one was sterile. That left 3 clutches between our three tanks. He has one 60gal (where the mommy snail lives) and one 29gal, and I have one 10gal for my betta and cardinal tetras. The first clutch to hatch gave about 80 babies. He put them in his 60gal. The second clutch to hatch, I took for my 10gal because it was smaller than the other clutches. I now have about 30-40 babies in there. Finally he just let the super tiny last clutch hatch right into the 60gal. That one was about 30 eggs, not sure how many babies though.

We're now overrun with snail babies. Fiancé is planning to move some over to his 29gal but, honestly, neither of us expected this many to survive this long (they're all between 1-2mos old now). Which is why we let that many eggs hatch in the first place.

My first question is: what the hell do we do with these babies?!?! Keeping all of them is not an option, I can't find it in my heart to euthanize them, we don't have any aquarist friends besides the one that gave us the snail to begin with, and you legally can't sell snails in our country so we can't give them to the local fish stores or sell them ourselves.

Before you get excited about giving them away or selling them online, 1) exporting them from our country is near impossible for us and almost certainly deadly for them in normal circumstances, much less a global pandemic, and 2) they're just plain goldens, nothing special (although they're special to me! (: ).

Now for my second and last question. How do you know if snail babies are having healthy shell development? I tried researching but nothing quite answered my question. Is there anything to look for that would indicate poor/abnormal shell development? Like I said, I'm very new to this, so nothing is obvious to me. I have no idea what they're supposed to look like, so how will I know if something is wrong?

Any tips/advice/help is greatly appreciated! TYIA!

TL;DR - Solo snail had surprise babies, now we're overrun. What do we do with them? How do we tell if they/their shells are developing as they should be?

submitted by /u/rabidrabbits8475
[link] [comments]

Snail help? Rims of snail shells are deteriorating and brown. Has anyone had this with their mystery snails?

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 07:46 PM PDT

I got a mystery snail a few days ago as a tank mates for a betta and a couple of dwarf frogs, and I know it's alive bc it moves a couple inches here and there and is interested in the algae crumbles, but I can't help but feel it should be more active?

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 06:32 PM PDT

hi I recently made a jarrarium from a pond and unexpectedly started seeing multiple snails in my jar. I really want to ensure that the snails live and was wondering if I could get some tips/help on how to care for the snails properly? any help or tips would be great:)

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 06:18 AM PDT

Help ID'ing snail?

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 05:25 PM PDT

Update: Solved by u/Andilee over on r/Aquariums - it's a ramshorn snail!

My friend had a few big snails in one of his tanks, he doesn't know what kind they were, but all of his fish got along with them really well. Sadly the three big ones passed, but not before making sure there were lots and lots of babies to carry on their legacy. He gifted me one of them, and I haven't been able to find out what kind of snail it is. It's a tan color with little dark spots, and a spiral shell. It's also still relatively small, just a bit bigger than 1/4" in shell length. My thoughts so far are possibly some kind of nerite, but I haven't been able to pin down a specific type.

Pics of the lil guy/girl, idk yet lol

submitted by /u/Orange_Roses_
[link] [comments]

Mystery Snail Sex By Shell Shape: Fact or Fiction?

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 12:49 PM PDT

Hey folks. I own four mystery snails originally purchased for 4 bettas, and can't for the life of me figure out which ones are male or female. I'm fairly certain I have both, but when I tried the little test of taking them out of the water and steadily holding them "upside down" so I could get a view behind their neck and look for gills/male organ sheath.

They just don't want to come out in that situation. I have also tried this with them in the water during "snack time" to no avail.

I have read that their shapes can indicate sex, but goodness it's a fine detail and I've only owned a small handful of snails, but have kept my bettas for years. Basically I have a snail/holding tank and rotate out who goes in for cleaning duty. Leaving them inside my two betta tanks sure made the water cloudy with their waste, and I feed them in a separate container to avoid the food messing up my tank.

Surprisingly these guys made it through a historic power outage. Went dormant and all survived when it was snowing here in Austin, TX and we lost power and my female bettas. So I'm attached to my little survivors, but just want to know the sexes.

If the shell thing is legit, I'm attempting to get a good shot at them all (see below). Any info would be super cool. Thanks everyone!

submitted by /u/512writer
[link] [comments]

Help! I see snails eggs like this first time in my life and kind of confused what to do with them? Maybe this clutch of eggs needs some water or some special care?

Posted: 21 Apr 2021 05:50 AM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.