Aquariums - My handsome boy seems to enjoying his home


My handsome boy seems to enjoying his home

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 06:57 PM PDT

We have Cycled!

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 04:18 AM PDT

This puffer sure is beautiful but he needs a serious attitude adjustment!

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 05:45 PM PDT

rate my tank

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 09:37 PM PDT

My 65 gal started well!

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 06:46 AM PDT

Morpheus thinking he’s one of the rocks...

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 11:07 AM PDT

my angel Scar, lookin good

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 07:21 AM PDT

Love my little underwater vacuum noodle

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 12:50 AM PDT

The oldest fish in my tank (10 plus years) decided he want to great you all

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 04:07 PM PDT

Pogo's mugshot.

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 05:45 PM PDT

Office Tank Running Well!

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 07:27 AM PDT

My first real aquascape. Can’t wait to see the fish flourish in here

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 05:58 AM PDT

I was trying to take a video of a snail I found in my tank when my beta stole the show.

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 07:35 PM PDT

Sushi. My new Baby Bristlenose Plec.

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 05:25 AM PDT

Levi really said “what b*tch?*

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 11:38 PM PDT

Incarcerated to Alcatraz for murdering two Rainbow Brothers. By the way, brothers Clarence & John Anglin and Frank Morris are the only men who have ever escaped from Alcatraz and never been found. “The Rock” was officially closed on 21/3/1963. Here is my notorious Mbuna nicknamed “The Train”.

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 06:41 AM PDT

Enjoying his new spot ��

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 02:59 AM PDT

Feeding time

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 07:19 AM PDT

My aquarium.

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 01:24 PM PDT

My JD

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 02:08 AM PDT

Beginner looking to start a small, coldwater, child-friendly aquarium

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 04:53 AM PDT

Hi, I can't see many of this kind of post but it seems to be allowed according to the sub's rules. I've read the "Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium" linked from the sidebar, but a lot of the further links an aquariumadvice seem to be broken? And the main forums there are giving me cognitive overload.

My son wants fish. He is only 4, so it will fall to me to do basically everything at this stage then hopefully, if we are successful, he can grow into the hobby.

Here's where I'm up to:

  • We are in the UK, so a lot of the brand recommendations I'm seeing online are not necessarily useful.
  • US sizes are unfamiliar to me. US gallons are not the same as British gallons, and I only operate in metric anyway unless it's a glass of beer or a speed limit! We have a small house, so we are probably looking at a max (external) aquarium size of about 45x30x30cm. I make that somewhere around 30l of actual water-holding capacity, based on what I'm seeing on pet store websites online. I think this is about what is meant by a US "10 gallon" tank? Maybe slightly smaller?
  • I'm after cold water fish, not tropical.
  • Based on what I'm reading it is best to buy all the bits separately, rather than buying a starter kit?
  • As the max tank size is small, and we won't have room to go larger, I'm after how ever many fish can fit comfortably in that tank, even when they've reached maximum size. I know that will greatly reduce our choice of species, but that's okay.
  • More tiny fish might be preferable to fewer larger fish, but if that is going to create more problems in terms of potential disease outbreaks or waste management or whatever than I'm happy to go with fewer larger fish.
  • I am happy to have different species or all the same species, whatever is most likely to guarantee success and well-adjusted fish.
  • Fish that have some kind of interesting visual appeal (bright colours, patterns, etc.) would be great to appeal to my son. But living, happy brown fish are preferable to dead, floating neon ones.
  • Plastic or silk or real plants are fine, whatever is easiest and best for the fish
  • We have a cat who, whilst incredibly lazy, may decide to take an interest in the tank, so tips for cat-proofing would be great.
  • We are in a major city, so will easily be able to visit a number of different shops to look at equipment and live fish in person. I intend to post on our city's subreddit to get recommendations for shops with knowledgeable staff and ethical practices.

I have started to read up on setting up a tank, cycling, water testing, stocking gradually, etc. We aren't in any rush, so if it takes a few months to get to the point where we have a tank ready to add our first fish to, that's fine.

In particular UK-specific advice on what species might be happiest in a small tank setup would really be appreciated. Also UK-based online retailers of equipment. Thanks!

submitted by /u/everythingscatter
[link] [comments]

My mystery snail hunted down a tasty frogbit snack

Posted: 14 Apr 2021 03:52 PM PDT

Impulse bought a couple of Sparkling Gourami. Currently going into the shrimp tank (1. Cherry shrimp) they are about half an inch so should be good in the 5 gal until im comfy putting them in the 10 or 30

Posted: 15 Apr 2021 02:14 AM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.