Jarrariums - Added a LED light to the lid of my jar for dramatic lightning.


Added a LED light to the lid of my jar for dramatic lightning.

Posted: 28 Mar 2021 11:41 AM PDT

1 year update!! Things have moved around a bit but still going strong

Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:56 PM PDT

4 Months old, what you guys think?

Posted: 28 Mar 2021 11:44 AM PDT

The water in my jarrarium seems to be getting steadily murkier?

Posted: 27 Mar 2021 12:11 PM PDT

So I finally got to putting together a planted jarrarium with a small amount of soil in the base, topped with aquarium gravel and a few plants (rotala indica and some mosses). The water was pretty clear when I first put it together (I poured the water into my hand so it didn't disturb the substrate). But now 24 hrs or so on and it's gotten a little cloudier. I'm not particularly worried, just thought I'd check if this is standard or if there's an explanation.

Thanks :)

submitted by /u/iBeatYouOverTheFence
[link] [comments]

PSA: remember to burp your jar if it has a lid PLEASE

Posted: 27 Mar 2021 02:28 PM PDT

See title.

Had a low effort Bell jar with some black sand and osmocote at the bottom with a few sprigs of rotala. Added some cholla wood and noticed the jar had a nice light brown black water tint. Thought nothing of it for a couple weeks.

Then I go to open the lid one day to air it out and get hit with a smell of rotten eggs. Oh fuck, I thought, anaerobic bacteria must have built up because of the lack of gas exchange. So I left the lid slightly ajar, thinking allowing it to vent would allow the ecosystem to balance itself out.

BAD IDEA

Within two days, the water goes PITCH BLACK and smelt like fucking death. Literally threw the whole thing out after I poured the water down the toilet. Disinfected my apartment like a mad man

tl;dr sealed jars and anaerobic bacteria are a bad combo

submitted by /u/central_telex
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.