Aquatic Koi koi’s are thriving anyone know how much these could sell for once they reach 14-18 inches


koi’s are thriving anyone know how much these could sell for once they reach 14-18 inches

Posted: 11 Aug 2020 08:01 AM PDT

Is this spot on the dorsal fin koi pox?

Posted: 11 Aug 2020 04:41 PM PDT

Koi in Distress

Posted: 11 Aug 2020 10:21 AM PDT

tl/dr: Link below of a previously white Koi who is now pinkish after weeks of stubborn algae bloom that killed a few goldfish. Asking for visual confirmation (link below) of O2 issues, or if there are signs of other disease. Thanks!

Hi all - hoping for some Koi expertise. I inherited a pond and some fish (1 Koi, 5 goldfish) three years ago. Other than some equipment issues along the way, the water quality has always been perfect, and the fish happy. A month ago I had a huge planktonic algae bloom occur suddenly, which has never happened before. I changed the UV bulb to be safe, and confirmed it was working. I began treating with Algaefix at the recommended dose for the 3,000 gallons, and continued to treat every 3 days over the course of weeks with no success. I continued with my 10% water changes weekly during the backwash, but nothing helped. I finally did a major change (75%) this weekend because after 2-3 weeks of not seeing any of the fish, the Koi reemerged and was gasping at the surface - one goldfish also reemerged eventually, but I think the others may be dead. The pond was also generally starting to smell like rotting. During the water change I stirred up lots of bright yellow oils - I assume those were from a decaying fish (but I can't see the bottom to confirm, or remove them). I did find that one of the pump intakes in the skimmer basket was clogged pretty bad, I think reducing flow to the UV filter, which may have contributed to the initial bloom.

Water levels have been good along the way - no ammonia, no nitrites, ph held steady around 7 until the final week when it dropped to 6.8. Nitrates were ~5ppm before the major water change, when it went back to 0. I have O2 and Hardness test kits on the way.

I am assuming that I am having oxygen issues. I linked to an album below where I got some snaps of the Koi. It was always white, and now has a lot of pink, which I understand can be due to low oxygen situations. Can anyone confirm, or tell me if they see anything indicated a different potential cause? I have an air stone and a waterfall running 24/7, so I am thinking that the heavy algae bloom and subsequent kill, and the decaying fish is causing an oxygen-starved environment. I am at a loss for other options. The koi was very lethargic this morning, so I am afraid that the weeks of stress are taking a toll...and while the water appears clearer after this weekend, visibility is still only a few feet, whereas I used to be able to see 6ft to the bottom with no issue. I understand there will continue to be O2 depletion as the algae continues to die off, but I was hoping I was past the worst of it and the gasping would stop. Any info/thoughts/recommendations are appreciated!

Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/A1Hk2bU

Thanks for the help!

submitted by /u/soboness5
[link] [comments]

Thinking bout turning this into koi pond I’m assuming it’s big enough but what else should I get to transform this ol pool into a pond

Posted: 11 Aug 2020 09:25 AM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.