Shrimp Tank - Aquariums - I was told you guys would like this!


I was told you guys would like this!

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 02:11 PM PDT

Got these awesome Shrimp stickers from Pristine Nature Products. Ebay Item # 124125017576. If you want some too.

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 03:10 PM PDT

Social distancing is totally ignored at broccoli time

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:52 AM PDT

My reddest adult female next to one of the amanos. Yep, she's huge.

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 09:45 AM PDT

^______^

Posted: 29 Mar 2020 01:15 AM PDT

Rescaped my 10g tank (top), much happier with the new look

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:32 PM PDT

Gonna be a grandma ����

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 11:15 AM PDT

Grazing

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 01:21 PM PDT

After losing all my shrimp (including four berried moms) I was left with two yellow males and my Amano. About a month later, while cleaning the tank, I was shocked to see this little guy foraging in the substrate ��❤️

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 12:39 PM PDT

My first baby!!!!

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 04:37 AM PDT

here’s my coral banded boy. hope salty friends are welcome

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 11:10 AM PDT

Baby ghosts

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 09:41 AM PDT

Bustin' a move ������

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 10:19 PM PDT

"Meet my kids Adam, Kevin, Epstein, Joe, Tina, Pelle, Key, Cleo, Jeff, Didnt, Goerge, David, Zina, Wiener, Matt, Sabrina, Kill, Bill, Ura, Ahole, Venus, Himself....."

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 10:26 AM PDT

Beautiful Blue...

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 10:42 AM PDT

I got them for algae, but they seem content poking around the substrate. Oh well.

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 05:10 PM PDT

My first shrimps ever! I am so happy

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 01:47 PM PDT

Shrimp hanging around subwassertang

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 09:31 PM PDT

My new shrimp tank... mostly empty but still pretty... happy birthday to me! (Also I moved some mystery snails from my 50 gal community)

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 06:30 PM PDT

Adult Red Cherry Shrimp speeds by shrimplet. Gives good size comparison. ����

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 01:20 PM PDT

Little jazz hands

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 03:49 PM PDT

Nibbling on strawberry and some pellet

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 04:24 PM PDT

Every time I buy shrimp they die off within days, sometimes weeks. What am I doing wrong?

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 06:23 PM PDT

I've only added them to cycled, planted tanks.

My first try with cherry shrimp I ordered 10-20 from Aquatic Arts. It was a couple years ago. I added them to a 5.5 gallon with nothing else in it except a ton of java moss. The filter media was from another tank. I was using tap water that only had water conditioner in it (at the time I was using Aqueon, though I later switched to Prime). The parameters were Nitrates 0, pH 7.0, 0-1 dKH, 2 dGH. The temperature was about 78 degrees.

Within the next two weeks, I had a shrimp die pretty much every day. It seemed like they were dying when molting, so I figured it was a water chemistry problem. I was just then learning more about GH and KH so I thought that was the cause. Not to mention that maybe the water wasn't that stable since it was such a small aquarium. All my shrimp died off.

After this failure, I decided to experiment raising my GH and KH. I started using Equilibrium and some baking soda. Using these, I raised my KH to about 3-4 and GH to about 5-6. I added these to all my new water, and made sure not to use it when replacing any evaporated water.

After a couple of months of experimenting, I decided to try cherry shrimp again. I ordered about 20 from Aquatic Arts and added them to a heated, planted, 5.5 gallon tank. Filter media from another tank. New parameters were Nitrates 0, pH 7.5, 3dKH, 5-6 dGH. The shrimp started slowly dying off, a couple each day.

I realized that something was still up, so I moved a couple shrimp to a very established planted 10g, and couple to another established 20g. These tanks had the same water parameters. The only difference being that they had some driftwood and other fish in there.

I realized that maybe just adding filter media from another tank still counted as a "new" tank. I was doing minimal water changes on this 5.5g tank as well, as I wanted the water to remain as stable as possible. But I thought I should experiment with the other tanks.

I had the same results in the 10g and 20g as well. I had one shrimp live for about 3 weeks, which was the longest any of them had lived. However, it died shortly after during a molt. All of them appeared to die during molting.

I was a little confused though, since I had understood that cherry shrimp do well in soft water. It seemed like a GH of 5-6 should've been fine. I also knew it wasn't a copper problem, as I had lots of snails and also had a few amano shrimp that were several years old. But I bought a copper test anyway just to be sure. Copper in all my tanks was 0.

I bought about 4 cherry shrimp from my lfs. I wanted to see what would happen if I bought some locally instead of ordering. The same thing happened.

I figured I was still missing something. One of my tanks I kept at a higher GH and KH than the others. It was about 20dGH, 11dKH, and 8 pH. In this tank, all of the pond snails had this beautiful gold/brown shell and were growing much larger. In my other tanks, the shells on pond snails, mts, and mystery snails would all erode away. My mystery snails would only live a few months. So I thought maybe that I hadn't raised the GH and KH enough.

I didn't raise it quite that high, though. I also switched from baking soda to using crushed oyster shells, thinking the crushed shells may help with the problem better.

I added crushed oyster shells to the filter in all of my tanks. This raised the KH to about 5, and the pH to about 7.8. I used Equilibrium to raise the GH to about 15.

These parameters did help my pond snails. So I thought I might be on the right track in solving my shrimp problem.

So about a month ago, I bought 3 cherry shrimp from my lfs. I added these shrimp to a very established, heavily planted, 10g aquarium. This tank has lots of Indian Almond leaves at the bottom and the only other tank mates are several kuhli loaches.

I admit I made the mistake of not drip acclimating these new cherry shrimp. I was busy that day and a bit in a hurry, and I made sure they were temperature acclimated and didn't much spend time acclimating them to the water. That could have messed everything up.

The shrimp died within about 3 days of adding them. I couldn't tell if they died from molting or not, but I still suspect that something could be off with my water chemistry.

I saved some of the water from their tank at my lfs. I tested it and the parameters were 3dKH, 7-8 dGH, and 7.8pH. These parameters only made me more confused as to why I'm having trouble keeping shrimp alive.

So, my last idea that I have is that maybe Equilibrium + oyster shells doesn't provide the minerals that shrimp need and I should be adding a different supplement, like a wonder shell or something?

Or maybe adding things to the water at all is making it too unstable?

I'm just completely at a loss. Shrimp and mystery snails are my favorite and I'm really disheartened that instead of seeing them thrive in my tanks I keep seeing dead ones instead.

Please help if you have any insight into what's going on!

submitted by /u/floofyflower
[link] [comments]

I’d like to introduce Shrimp Pliskin. 6 water changes and a child. Still here.

Posted: 28 Mar 2020 07:56 PM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.