Axolotl - Aquariums - Oh heyyyy


Oh heyyyy

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 01:03 AM PST

BABY!!

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 07:56 AM PST

Axolotl drawings I did in HS, I never was an artist but I sure loved my Ax, Embee

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 07:12 AM PST

my first axolotl, fregley :)

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 06:15 AM PST

Hi! I'm a newbie wanting to make sure I do things right :)

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 10:43 AM PST

As the title says, I am a newbie axolotl enthusiast that is overwhelmed by all of this information!! I have kept 2 goldfish alive for about 6 years (I think when I moved, I messed up their tank cycle and didn't realize it) and with their passing, I'd like to adopt an axie!!

Goldfish are 1000% different than axolotls though, so I want to make sure I am doing this right! I have not adopted an axolotl yet, as I want to make sure my tank is perfect for this little creature :)

Last night I stopped at a pet store to buy a whole new set up, as I donated the goldie's set up to my MIL so essentially I'm starting from scratch. From the pet store I picked up the following: 20 gal long tank, 30 gal aqueon HOB filter, caribsea fine sand substrate, a freshwater testing kit, some new silk decorations, a barrel hide, a rock tower hide and a marimo ball! The space that I have my tank set up is in the back of the house that is shaded by all the trees in my backyard, so the house stays pretty cool in that area in the summer. I already have some clip-on desk fans that can help cool the water if it does get a little too warm. I also plan on adding a piece of sponge on the outtake of the filter as a baffle :)

I got home, washed the sand and decorations and got to work. I filled the tank with water from my tap, which is well water and does not need to be conditioned as there's no chlorine in it (at least, this is how i understand it!) One thing I did not think about though, is building that healthy bacteria. For some reason I never thought to test the water last night or this morning, so I am going to be testing it to see what it is at! I know it's not ready whatsoever, but I'd like to have a base reading to work off of.

When I kept my goldies, I cant say I was super educated but I knew enough information that helped me keep them alive. I don't know how to build up this healthy bacteria without adding treatments to the water, which i did not pick up. I'm wondering if the marimo ball will help build up that bacteria? I haven't seen anything saying it does or doesn't. If i need to, I will amazon prime some of those treatments that add the bacteria that is needed!! If anyone has recommendations, I appreciate it!

Now I have a question about filtration. I got the 30 gallon aqueon filter which is a HOB. This is where I may have caused my tank to crash on my goldies, so I want to make sure I am doing this right! I don't fully recall, as their passings were a few years ago and my depression makes me forget trivial things, but I don't ever remember changing the actual filter carriage for almost the life of the tank. If I did change it, it wasn't with a water change (as I know new water, new filter media can cause a shock to their systems).Please know that if I did it wrong in the past, I fully intend on changing the habit and making sure I am keeping the tank healthy for my little creature!! I'd let the little cartridge get all gross and yucky and sometimes I'd rinse it under some water just to knock some of the gunk off. From my understanding, you do the same with the axolotl tank? Do you keep the "yucky" filter cartridge (known as media?) in the filter as it harbors the good bacteria? This is the only thing tripping me up besides introducing the good bacteria, so I would greatly appreciate some advice on what needs to be done on the filter!!

I plan on adopting an axie from Ivy's site if I cant find anywhere local (within 45 minutes) of me and I will only be doing that when I know the tank has fully cycled! I know the best food for them is earthworms, I have a bunch of retailers for worms near me so I think I'm all set on that front. I know blood worms are delicious to them but they're not nutritional so that will be a once-in-a-while treat like ice cream to a toddler :)

If you'd made it this far, thanks! I know it's a lot of words but I just want to make sure the environment that I'm setting up for my axie is appropriate and will let them thrive :)

submitted by /u/hales-never-fails
[link] [comments]

My son enjoying our new axolotl, Merrow.

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 07:11 AM PST

Little Prismo is hardly bigger than a tiny bloodworm! Slurrrrppp

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 10:47 AM PST

After months of preparation we adopted atlas a baby axxie

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 11:49 PM PST

An actually decent photo of the lil guy. He has nubs and when I first got him I didn’t know they regenerate. I feed him today to see little feet lmao. Why is the lil guy so cute???

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 07:51 PM PST

WELCOME HOME NIGEL

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 05:05 PM PST

First Bloodworm! (Slo-Mo)

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 05:46 PM PST

Help! why is my axolotl changing colour??

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 10:40 PM PST

My Axolotls laid eggs, what now?

Posted: 05 Mar 2020 07:08 AM PST

Welp my babies had babies last night. The eggs were collected into a 5 gal bucket filled with their original tank water and an air stone for the time being. From what I've looked up myself I at least have some time to prepare before I have many lil mouths to feed! I would like to hear some advice from people who have raised them first hand because ideally I'd want to raise up as many as I can. And I have a few questions,

How quickly do they grow once they hatch? I know that varies a lot but I would like to have a rough timeline of when I would hit the "cannibal" stage of development so I can prepare separate set ups for all of them.

Are live daphnia alone enough for babies to eat until I wean them into dry food, or should I acquire another small live food as well?

Any other advice or tips are welcome! I've bread and raised a couple different types of fish and invertebrates but axolotls are new to me.

submitted by /u/sadkitti
[link] [comments]

Forever rearranging the tank for Beets. I'm getting a turtle dock today to add to the back wall of it for a place to float! ��

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 11:57 AM PST

Wanted to introduce my first Axolotl, Leviathan! Or just Levi for short

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 12:26 PM PST

Werms plz

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 01:29 PM PST

DIY Axolotl Tank Lid - more pics in comments.

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 05:19 PM PST

Updated getting worse

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 06:01 PM PST

Is toothless a healthy size he’s 11 months old

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 12:28 PM PST

my first axolotl just got settled into their new home!! do they look healthy? any tips for helping them get comfortable?

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 05:07 PM PST

i had to cross an inanimate object and an animal for a project. enjoy

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 04:43 PM PST

Help with figuring out what this means?

Posted: 04 Mar 2020 03:16 PM PST

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.