Jarrariums - Steampunk terrarium


Steampunk terrarium

Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:49 PM PST

If you told me a few months ago that I'd be excited to receive this in the mail, I wouldn't have believed you.

Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:38 PM PST

Creating a Woodland Pond Ecosphere!

Posted: 04 Feb 2020 08:14 AM PST

We have the coolest shop in our local city, so I shot a video about it.

Posted: 04 Feb 2020 08:44 AM PST

I tried my hand at a pill jarrarium. I dont like the moss in there, any suggestions for what to do with the jar?

Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:45 PM PST

When stabilised, can a jarrarium practically live forever?

Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:01 PM PST

What kind of snails do you have?

Posted: 04 Feb 2020 04:26 AM PST

I've become increasingly interested in snails. In the aquarium world it seems mystery, nerite, and ram horns are very popular and have their own meticulous care sheets. What about in jarrariums?

What kinds if snails do you have in your setup? How big is your setup? How many snails do you have? Where did you source your snail?

submitted by /u/Glassfern
[link] [comments]

The best part is I didn't even deliberately arrange this. I placed an interesting orchid I found in a closed cup with moist sphagnum moss, and it grew into this 6 months later.

Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:44 AM PST

Hiya! This is my only bottle (jar) baby and I love it! Had it for almost a full year or two now. Has developed a bit of slightly more brown algae tips that don't come off easily with a light massage. Advice?

Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:10 PM PST

Tips for native PNW plants to grow in a jarrarium?

Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:05 AM PST

Tips for native PNW plants to grow in a jarrarium?

I've been interested in making a jarrarium for a while, but I just found this sub. I'd like to make a sealed one containing plants native to my area in Washington state, but I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced members.

Ideally this would be made with wild plants and soil to get a few bugs in there and facilitate a more or less natural cycle of decomposition; if that doesn't pan out I figure it wouldn't be the end of the world to start over.

I really want to include some Oregon oxalis, which grows in quantity at my house. I think it ought to work if I just transplant a section of rhizome with a few stalks, and they should enjoy the moisture and shade. I would also throw in some moss, and possibly try to get my hands on some peat moss.

Main questions:

What kind of fern could I include? I was thinking of licorice fern, but that would probably be too big. Are there any nice, small ferns in the Pacific Northwest that would grow well in my jar (below), and what would be the best way to propagate them?

If I include wild soil, does it matter where it's from? I'll be keeping this in my dorm room where I go to school in Minnesota. If I collected some soil here, should I be worried about insects or pests that are incompatible with my northwestern plants?

What other kinds of plants could I include? Any suggestions are welcome- I'm no botanist, so I don't know exactly what all would be a good idea. I would like to keep it to plants that I could collect in western Washington, though. Given the nature of the oxalis, ferns, and moss, it would probably have to be something that thrives in shade and moisture. If it helps, my window this year faces due west.

The Jar: I picked up this half gallon canning jar (1917-1938) yesterday, and made a gasket from rubber bands which keeps water in. Once I'm ready to seal it permanently I would probably drip some wax around the rim. The inside diameter is about 4.5 in (11.5 cm) and the inside height is about 9.5 in (24 cm), including substrate.

https://preview.redd.it/p8gqmdt99re41.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=5aa87f381acacbea72ba9e7fb065706261e3975b

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm looking forward to hearing some ideas!

submitted by /u/fish_and_chisps
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.