Jarrariums - BEHOLD! My first jarrium :)


BEHOLD! My first jarrium :)

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 03:46 PM PST

What supplies to get for students to make their own terrarium?

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 06:24 PM PST

Hello all! I'm a middle school teacher. I'd love for my students to make little terrariums to go along with our ecology unit (limiting factors, decomposers, primary producers, biotic and abiotic factors, etc.). I've never made one before but my science department will pay for the supplies so help is needed to create a list!

I'd like for students to create their environment in a mason jar or in something of similar space. I live in Florida and I can collect some local materials. I'm thinking to get gravel, soil, and rocks, but what else should I get? What are good plants that will grow? Which seeds? How do I go about getting insects? (The materials I order now will not be used until this fall.) Should students be watering their environments or should it be completely self contained? Basically need advice on fool proof, simple set ups for kids! Thank you in advance!

submitted by /u/overthinkingrobot
[link] [comments]

Minis

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 12:19 PM PST

How long can life (in substrate and water) as well as aquatic plants last when in transport? (pond ecosystem)

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 05:29 PM PST

Hello,

So I found a nice pond and I really want to set up my next Jarrarium. This time about, I want to learn how to well..plant aquatic plants. The only issue is that its quite far away

Anyways, I usually go out with several sealed containers. In one I put substrate (from the pond), the other sand (from a stream bed nearby), and I usually put plants in a ziplocked bag. Water is put in a capped jug

By the time I get home and put everything together, I am worried that the everything (in the substrate and sand) as well as the plants will die. It will probably take me about an hour or two to get the ecosphere set up.

Would anyone have either advice on how to keep things alive or input from experience on how long life may last after I put them in their respective containers/bags and drive home (given the amount of time?)

Thank you

submitted by /u/suchascenicworld
[link] [comments]

I made my first Walstad tank last week. One week later, it looks like some of the plants are dying - any ideas?

Posted: 17 Jan 2020 01:52 AM PST

Trimmed 3 years of growth on my Jar today. Had instant regret but the light wasn't getting in any more.

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 03:14 PM PST

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.