Crayfish A quick PSA on sexing crayfish


A quick PSA on sexing crayfish

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 11:13 AM PDT

Howdy folks;

I just wanted to put this information out there, because I see many well meaning but sometimes incorrect comments trying to help people with sexing crayfish. I should note, I'm not a biologist and crayfish are just one of my hobbies, so if I mangle some of the scientific wording, please forgive me.

The most common thing I see is 'an extra set of swimmers means Male, and if they don't have them, they're Female'. Picture for reference: https://i.redd.it/i5oe6dffc9e51.jpg

This is a handy trick, but it only applies to some crayfish genus; primarily Procambarus species like P. alleni or P. clarkii. The counter example are crayfish of the Cherax genus, such as Cherax quadricarinatus, the Australian Red Claw Crayfish, which are much trickier to sex at a glance as they do not follow the swimmers rule. Here is a chart comparing a male to a female. As you can see, much more subtle.

When attempting to sex crayfish for someone, the first step is trying to identify the genus and species it belongs to, so you can give the correct identifying traits; if the common knowledge becomes 'extra swimmers = male', and that's the advice everyone gets, it may lead to people improperly assuming all their Cherax crayfish are female (and I know this because when I first started out in the hobby, I made this mistake myself until I learned sexing crayfish can be a little more complex than looking for a set of extra swimmers).

submitted by /u/Dauss
[link] [comments]

Rivers is king of Skull Mountain

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 06:44 PM PDT

A few pics of my cherax pulcher

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 12:15 PM PDT

Anyone know what gender my crayfish is? Kinda hard to tell, iam pretty new to this.

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 07:57 AM PDT

Some of my and my little brother's biggest catches.

Posted: 19 Apr 2021 12:18 AM PDT

My crayfish hates me!

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 06:12 PM PDT

So my husband and I got a crayfish. We've been able to confirm it's a male. He's VERY aggressive....which makes him fun and interesting. When my husband or another male comes to the glass of the tank, he'll bow up and flex on them, but not like with me. He's clearly far more aggressive towards me (female). Does that have anything to do with it? Is it just coincidence? Whenever we do anything with the tank and don't take him out, my husband has to deal with it, because when my husband messes with the tank, he's somewhat chill. But if I mess with the tank, he comes for me....hard! Any ideas?

submitted by /u/dustyTrails2u
[link] [comments]

(Common yabby) viv is so cute. Hopefully one day she will be docile enough to let crawl on my hand.

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 03:44 PM PDT

What type is this crayfish?

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 03:01 AM PDT

Seems word has spread throughout my workplace, and now my coworkers have pranked me...

Posted: 18 Apr 2021 01:38 AM PDT

...by sticking a frikkin HUGE male P clarkii with massive pinchers in the dish pit while I wasn't looking.

Funnily enough, I actually was planning on getting a male and a 50 gallon when I move out (like, in a few weeks), guess I gotta do it all backwards lol.

So, how should I go about getting this set up? I already have a sponge filter, air pump, substrate, and I can go get more pvc and stuff for hides, but I won't be able to even buy the tank until Monday unless I convince a family member to go fetch one for me.

Anybody got good suggestions on what else I could add to such a setup? I know I should probably add some fast growing aquatic plants for cover and as an extra food source, but most of the recommendations I see are technically illegal here in Texas so I will get to that some other time.

submitted by /u/shit_poster9000
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.