Reef Tank - Aquariums - Found a long, bite-y boi


Found a long, bite-y boi

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:07 PM PDT

Here's something you hardly ever see. Black Sun (Tubastrea micrantha) that's remained healthy for nearly a year now in a client's reef and even grown new polyps since it was first added!

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 06:33 AM PDT

Top down of some SPS

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:08 PM PDT

Just snagged these bad boys at an auction for $22. Will update tomorrow when they’re in the tank!

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:37 PM PDT

Filled and ready to start cycling

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:32 PM PDT

Single unique specimen fish ideas for this 20L? Something different than the classic clown pair or every standard nano fish you usually hear about. This will be a reef tank eventually. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fish if you have ideas for another cool specimen creature too.

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:11 PM PDT

Welp.. it happened

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:05 PM PDT

After five long years I finally lost my tank to a five day power outage. All of my coral and fish are gone.

I have about 50 dry lbs of live rock that's well encrusted with algae and some now dead coral. My question for the community is: what's the best way to clean this rock and repurpose it later on down the line? Before the tank crashed it was covered on all sides with algae, sponges, worms, stomatellas, bristle worms, and asterinas. The rock stinks of death already but I'm worried that it will get worse as the days go on.

I'm thinking about submerging it all in tap water and changing it every day until the smell goes away, then doing the same with RO until the rock seems clean. I don't plan on starting another tank for a while as the pandemic and the state of the world just won't allow it

submitted by /u/smokeygnar
[link] [comments]

First time salt, finished my scape after hours of hard work and re arranging

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 10:52 AM PDT

Is this aiptasia?

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:35 PM PDT

Need help choosing 4th fish to finish my 20g water box.

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:53 PM PDT

I currently have 2 clowns and a blue tang (don't throw a fit it's smaller than a quarter and the whole tank gets fed lightly and everything will be transferred when I feel they need space). I want another nice small fish to add to the tank for diversity, a purple tang the size of the quarter or less? I have lps corals as well, Torches/Duncan's and zoa frags right now will get more corals as time goes by. As stated I have the necessary space and supplies to upgrade to a bigger tank when it's needed

submitted by /u/Cactus_licker305
[link] [comments]

Candy Cane coral head bleaching

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:38 PM PDT

What is this thing on my live rock? Has not moved and is only a few mm across [ID]

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 03:34 PM PDT

Care/management of a mandarin/dragonet?

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:57 PM PDT

Hello everyone. Just as the title states, I am looking towards getting a mandarin or a dragonet for my reeftank. I have a 12 gallon peninsula/bookshelf style tank, that is almost 3 feet long. Is this a suitable tank? The tank is well established, and has corals already. I had 2 small clowns (LivAquaria told me size of tank was acceptable because of how long it was, more swimming room) but I've heard mixed things about the mandarins. I've researched some people who have them in 10 gal nano tanks, and obviously those who also have them in large tanks. I am well aware of their diet and eating, although I have been recently looking into the ORA brand ones, and it seems people are having success with those. Does anyone have any general advice they can give? General costs of food if dosing/supplementing copepods? Any experience in various tank sizes? Any compatibility issues I should be aware of? Again, I have been researching this for quite a bit but I want more personal stories, etc. It seems like this fish is the type that people just jump into the hobby and try to get and end up killing, so I just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/pseudoskill
[link] [comments]

Can you find four shrimp in this photo?

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 10:45 PM PDT

10 gallon hood/light

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 10:14 PM PDT

I'm setting up my first reef tank for a 10 gallon (plan on getting two clownfish and maybe a bubble tip anemone) i need a hood and light. Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/Blyvzy
[link] [comments]

Whats the white stuff on close Duncan?

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 12:51 PM PDT

I have barnacles

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 09:23 PM PDT

They came in with a new coral. I have barnacles like you see on rocks in the ocean. I've have a clean tank for 15 years and the barnacles are multiplying and doing a good job of cleaning the glass but I know its just a matter of time before they jam my pumps and stuff right?

submitted by /u/fjnorton
[link] [comments]

I am setting up my first Salt/Reef tank, still currently cycling with no fish present. What is this growing literally everywhere? I thought maybe diatoms but there are no nitrates present yet.

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:08 PM PDT

Hair algae infestation since I started... almost ready to give up...

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:31 AM PDT

Ok, I'll start with some parameters: Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 0 Phosphate: 0.25 ppm

There are no fish in the tank, just a hermit crab and 3 astrea snails. Nothing to feed the hair algae. The snails won't eat it. I keep the lights on 8 hours a day.

I know exactly how I got the algae: At the very beginning when I was cycling my tank, I decided to add a piece of live rock. The rock had lots of Hair algae but I didn't get rid of it because "I wanted the ecosystem to get going". It's been 8 months and it's still here going strong. I can't find anything that could possibly be contributing to it.

Here are some of the things I've done to battle it:

Added various Types of snails

Scrubbed the rocks multiple times Manually removed it

Turned off lights for a week

Added phosphate removal pads to the filter

Removed the rock it originally came from (it's spread to the other rocks though)

I have 3 corals so I can't really dose anything. I'm almost ready to embrace it and let it completely take over the tank, I am so done. If anyone has any possible solution I will eagerly try it.

submitted by /u/Help-plees
[link] [comments]

craigslist complete biocube setup any good?

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 06:39 PM PDT

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/d/davidsonville-marine-aquarium-fish-and/7141852576.html

looking to get into the hobby, was looking at a biocube anyways. is this a good deal for everything thats included?

submitted by /u/4321fun
[link] [comments]

What could you put in a 5 gal reef tank?

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 12:31 PM PDT

Transferring from Dino infested tank - any safe way?

Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:39 PM PDT

I have a 30 gallon reef that has been ravaged by Dino's. A bad power outage last year followed by over compensation on my part with chemical filtration knocked the system totally out of balance. All efforts to get rid of the Dino's since then have failed. Between work and kids, I'm throwing in the towel, tearing down the tank, and downgrading to a 14 gallon fusion to start anew.

I'd like just to transfer over our mated clown pair and the one rock with zoas to which they have hosted. The rest is getting torn down and given to other reefers with full disclosure of the Dino's.

Is there any safe way to transfer my fish and single rock with zoes to the new tank post cycle without transferring the infestation as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

submitted by /u/FrankyBenjamin
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.