Goldfish - Aquariums - My goldfish love to sleep together��


My goldfish love to sleep together��

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 07:59 PM PDT

Mom and dad, and if you look closely underneath them to the right, two of their offspring (almost 3 months).

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 05:50 PM PDT

Getting ready to upgrade my fish tank!

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 08:36 PM PDT

whats going on

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 09:36 AM PDT

1 year today, Saved from a carnival faire fish game.

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 07:58 PM PDT

Well, I have time to do some deep cleaning ...

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 08:37 PM PDT

Are these gold fishes I'm too stupid

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 12:54 PM PDT

Accumulating goldfish to new Ph

Posted: 19 Mar 2020 12:51 AM PDT

I found I got a measurement wrong... and what a bad one to get wrong. I messed up the pH of my tap water.

So I have 2 goldfish going into a 55 gallon tank, they are currently in a 10 gallon. When I did a water test today I noticed that I had read the pH test wrong last (and my first) water change, and the pH is way to high, about 8.2 in the tank and 8.0 at my water source.

There is a solution. I have RO water in the house, problem is it's limited and can only give about 2 gallons every 2 hours. My solution is to switch to the RO water (which is somewhere about 7-7.2), but I'll need to slowly collect the water over a week and store it in 5 gallon buckets and let them sit for upto a week or maybe 2 (if some is left over). First of all, is this safe practice? Is it fine to let them sit? Does it matter if I use a lid?

Secondly I hear that sudden pH changes can kill my fish. How should I go about introducing them to the new tank. Would it be foolish to fill the 55 Gallon with the more neutral water (7-7.2) and drop my fish who have been in 8.0-8.2 conditions as soon as the rank is set up?

submitted by /u/donmud
[link] [comments]

2 common goldfish should be easy to take care of, right? Welcome to the hell of my beginners mistake

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 05:37 PM PDT

My girlfriend brought home one common goldfish that she experimented on in class. I had a goldfish as a kid, I kept it in a bowl and tried to keep it alive, completely ignorant of what I was doing and all the things I have learned since getting my goldfish. My second beginner mistake was getting a second common goldfish as a friend for the first.

Partly out of guilt for how bad a fish keeper I was when I was younger I decided to do my research (knowing my GF who never had a pet would be the type to fill a thing with water and call it good, not a bad thing, but a new pet owner thing. I've been there. 3 dead fish later, I'm cautious in their care now.), and then I realized the massive problem I had on my hands. 2 common goldfish require a 60 gallon tank minimum... I bought a 10 gallon and thought I was fine, bought a 37 gallon and thought I was fine (mixed up comet and common) then returned it for a 55 gallon and thought I was fine. However, I've come to realize I will need to get a second 55 gallon tank and separate them eventually.

Here are my questions, please help.

  1. I want to cycle my 55 gallon tank before transferring them, can I afford to wait a month to transfer them? I'll be using eco-complete (edit: switched out for sand) and maybe some of the water from the 10 gallon, as well as transfering the live plants to the 55 gallon. They are in a 10 gallon tank and have been there for about a month and a half. I looked up characteristics and they both seem young. The bigger one is still losing some black and they have rounded back fins (forget the name).
  2. I noticed the bigger one bullying the little one today, do you know why? I tested the water not to long ago and seemed fine. I'll have to do a water change in a day or 2 though as it's getting close to a week. Today the one who bullied was also showing signs of stress (coming to the top for air), so I think it's a problem with tank size and I hope the air pump in the new tank will fix it. They also don't have a heater in the old tank, so it's probably a bit nippy for them. I hope to set up the heater sometime today or tomorrow in the 10 gallon tank.
  3. Looks like I'll need to buy a second 55 gallon tank for them, and eventually separate them. I want to wait a year or so because again... I never thought caring for common goldfish properly could break the bank so hard. If you don't have the room for them, or don't feel comfortable dropping hundreds of dollars in one go, a common goldfish is an awful starter fish... but I love them and am attached af now.

TBH, I'm pretty pissed at the pet store staff who let my GF buy a common goldfish and a 10 gallon tank. If i were working there I would caution anyone against buying a common goldfish if they don't have the space to take care of it. I want to give these fish a good life, so please give me feedback and advice.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message, I hope I can turn to this community to help me take care of these fish.

submitted by /u/donmud
[link] [comments]

are these gold fish?

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 03:02 PM PDT

How to reduce water hardness

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:54 AM PDT

I live in a city where the tap water is very hard. I use a conditioner but it does not reduce it enough(or at all). I wanted to know if water hardness is really an issue for goldfish and if I should be trying to reduce it, along with what level is ideal.

submitted by /u/day_break
[link] [comments]

Biological filter breakdown?

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 05:50 PM PDT

Hi everyone. I just joined this sub but have kept fish for years. Despite all of this experience, I don't know what would cause my biological filter bacteria to crash, or at least struggle. My fish (2 small comets in a 45 gallon pond) started acting almost drunk a few days ago and also seemed to be blind. They still ate and responded to me but just seemed drugged. I tested the water and the only thing out of the ordinary was ammonia 0.25 ppm. Nitrates and nitrites both 0, which is odd given that there is ammonia present. pH is over 8 but it has been that way for years. We have crappy tap water here in FL.

So what caused my bio filter to get sluggish? And any natural way I can keep the pH a little lower? Thanks.

submitted by /u/Cluelessinfl
[link] [comments]

My goldfish have been acting unusual for the past 2 days, they haven’t been moving much just laying at the bottom of the tank like this? What could be wrong?

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 01:18 PM PDT

The healing process

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:24 AM PDT

Back in October last year one of my fancies got sick. She was bottom sitting, developed blood streaks in her fins, and lost some scales. This went on for months. I spent a fortune on melafix, meth blue, salt, did daily water changes, tested parameters every day, changed the settings on my oversized filter, rearranged the tank, nothing helped for more than a couple of days and eventually she developed fin rot too. What was bizarre was that through all this my other fancy was in perfect health.

I finally figured out that with her smaller body and bigger fins she was getting stressed by the strong current produced by the filter. I don't think this is talked about much in the Reddit wiki. A lot is said about how over filtering is good but I don't remember reading about this as a risk. I put a sponge over the outlet and both of them are much happier.

The sick fish no longer bottom sits, explores more and the blood is slowly going away from her fins. My concern is that it's been 3 weeks since the change and there's still some blood there, as well as some beige spots and streaks where it used to be. Is there something I should still be worried about? Or is this something that will just take time because of how bad it was for so long?

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Paladin2019
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.