Betta Fish Aquariums - Fish Keeping Preparedness: COVID-19


Fish Keeping Preparedness: COVID-19

Posted: 18 Mar 2020 11:47 AM PDT

In light of the rapidly evolving situation around the COVID-19 pandemic, I want to share a reminder with my fellow fishkeepers and betta lovers that preparedness is key in navigating these circumstances. I personally have already gone through one precautionary quarantine in the last couple of weeks and during that time, I ran out of some key supplies for my pets. It's easy to overlook these things until you don't have what you need.

You should probably make sure you have a 3 month supply of their items when possible given the supply chain disruptions we're already experiencing. This doesn't mean hoard supplies, it means give yourself time to source more if you begin to run out of something. With Amazon's move to prioritize household essentials it may become difficult to get key items in a timely manner.

None of this list is mandatory, these are the items I personally checked my stock of and reordered in cases where I expected to run out within the next 3 months.

General Supply List:

  • Prime or your preferred water conditioner
  • Stability or beneficial bacteria if your cycle runs into issues.
  • API Liquid Test kit or at the absolute bare minimum, test strips that test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (API is the only brand I know of that does)
    • Note about test strips: If you are stocking up for long term use, a liquid test kit will be the far better option. A test kit includes enough solution for hundreds of tests where you typically don't get more than 25 per tube of test strips.
  • Indian Almond Leaves
  • Enough food for all fish (and other pets) for at least 3 months with proper containers to maintain freshness
  • If you use fertilizers for your live plants, make sure you have enough of those as well.

Medications:

  • StressGuard and Paraguard in the event of injury or accidents. Ich-X is also an acceptable alternative to Paraguard, as would any other medication that contains malachite green.
  • Kanaplex (Kanamycin). This medication in particular tends to have long wait times for shipping anyway and this will only be further disrupted in the coming weeks.
  • Furan-2/Polyguard (Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone) in the event of columnaris and other severe infections.
  • If you can't find Furan 2/Polyguard or Kanaplex, a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Triple Sulfa would be a decent plan B.
  • Prazipro or General Cure for parasitic infections. Any fish med that contains praziquantel would suffice.

In the event you can't buy antibiotics:

  • Methylene blue
  • Malachite Green
  • Aquarium salt (should not be used by beginners without consulting for proper dosing and if it's even the right use)

If you don't have an adjustable heater, now would be the time to consider buying one. Some illnesses are treated by adjusting the temp in the tank.

I want to stress that preparedness, not panic is the goal here. You should buy only what you need to make sure that those who need more can also get these items and resources as well. We will experience limited stock and limited access in the coming days and weeks, many already are living this reality. In times like these, the most important thing we can do is be kind and respectful to one another.

submitted by /u/roboto6
[link] [comments]

Good morning, Corona hates everything.

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 07:48 AM PDT

adam is my favorite distraction during class now

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 08:54 AM PDT

A week’s difference!

Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:34 PM PDT

Can I just gush about my new betta, Monet?

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 11:07 AM PDT

I don't think that's a fair fight dude!

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 06:58 AM PDT

Needs some touch up (gonna have to wait until after the pandemic) skin rejected some of the ink, but still happy to have an angry fish tattoo.

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:59 AM PDT

rest in peace, my beautiful betta boy <3

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:12 AM PDT

Stunning pic my S.O took of Mr. Hellrot today

Posted: 22 Mar 2020 08:14 PM PDT

Breakfast with Meliodas, my beautiful dragon sin of wrath ��

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 06:06 AM PDT

I almost cried. Woke up and found that mom's bf made lids that fit perfect to let the filter air still and sit inside the lip AND have holes for the decor after I moved home from my dorm yesterday.

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 11:03 AM PDT

Ares in quarantine, excuse the plants, I can't get live plants yet cause of virus

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 12:59 PM PDT

i thought you would all like to meet my little björn! he was an 18th birthday gift from a close friend! enjoy this photo of him sussing the surface of the water out ♥️ (he’s a koi plakat by the way!)

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 05:22 AM PDT

I left my betta with my family for a few months and gave them instructions on how to care for it. Found out they never cleaned his tank. There was mold growing on my heater and his fins look awful and torn up. I’ve already cleaned the tank and treated the water. What else can I do?

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 09:38 AM PDT

So you want to record a nice video of your kuhli loach? Nah

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 06:58 AM PDT

New koi boy never thought I wanted one

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 11:03 AM PDT

Medusa, one of my female koi bettas, has had quite the glow up over the past month. I fell in love with her speckles and now she is starting to look like a watercolor �� In the top pic, there is a bubble lined up with her eye, so it looks white.

Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:24 PM PDT

Big thank you to everyone who’s been helping me figure out how to fix the million things I do wrong on a daily basis. Currently cycling Stinky’s tank with seachem prime and stability because I just didn’t know that was a thing until now. Sorry Stinky, I really thought I knew what I was doing lol.

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 12:49 PM PDT

Dwyer is a real fighting fish. PetSmart was bad enough. Then came the finmelt. Thanks to everyone in the help threads who offered advice and support. He's not 100%, but getting better every day.

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 11:33 AM PDT

Please stop breeding your bettas for fun. Do. Not. Do. It.

Posted: 22 Mar 2020 11:25 PM PDT

Been seeing quite a few posts over the last couple weeks of people trying to breed their bettas. Likely due to quarantine boredom from what I've seen.

Please, don't breed your bettas. Unless you are a qualified individual/company with experience, essential supplies, and knowledge, DON'T BREED YOUR BETTAS FOR FUN. PLEASE.

I shouldn't have to say this, or remind people not to do this. It's like breeding cats, or rabbits. Chances are you are seriously under-prepared and haven't thought out the full consequences of those actions. It's why we get our pets fixed! They don't have the capacity to be responsible for themselves, and we have to step up as responsible owners for our companions.

This quarantine and this virus will pass as long as we do our part, and I wish the best for everyone to stay healthy and sane. It's not worth the responsibility of possibly over 300 new bettas and there's way more work that goes into something like that than just "oh, I've got two pretty bettas, I'm gonna let them make babies."

Once this quarantine is over, what are you going to do with so many new bettas? Oh, you've got 3 friends who might possibly take a betta? What about the other possible 297? Got a few hundred tanks laying around, time for water changes, live foods, food for all stages of life, heaters, filters?

Do not backyard breed your bettas. Don't. Do not. It's not worth it.

submitted by /u/Ishikama
[link] [comments]

Always so curious ��

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 01:00 PM PDT

Cliff has what i like to call his special blue spot

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 12:58 PM PDT

He is slowly getting used to the camera and showing off his colors! Haven't seen him flare yet, he is one of the more chill guys.

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 05:14 AM PDT

2nd set of digital betta art

Posted: 22 Mar 2020 08:50 PM PDT

Week One Update: Buddy the betta is on the fast track to recovery after I rescued him. He now accepts that the snails are friends not food. Buddy and the Pleco are on mutual grounds not to disturb each other. His fins are growing back beautifully. 11/10 good boi.

Posted: 23 Mar 2020 11:01 AM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.