Goldfish - Aquariums - This is my buddy Fillet. We rescued him at over 5 years old and he already had fin rot, so he’s *hopefully* going to heal up soon.


This is my buddy Fillet. We rescued him at over 5 years old and he already had fin rot, so he’s *hopefully* going to heal up soon.

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 07:14 PM PST

Fancy goldfish lethargic af for a week or so now. Details in comments. Pls help :(

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 06:58 PM PST

After 6 months of my white ranchus growing separately up I introduced them to the big boys today.

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 04:09 AM PST

Got home from work and half of the water in my goldfish tank is gone. I have no idea how this has happened. Can anyone help me out and tell me whats going on and also how to prevent it.

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 02:59 PM PST

New fish always sits at the bottom of the tank

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 11:22 AM PST

Yesterday I saved a beautiful yellow oranda I found on Craigslist. He was in a quite small tank 20 gallons or so tank with about 15 other fancies and fish and a teeny tiny filter. I put him in my 40 gallon quarantine tank,but he mostly sits at the bottom. He eats when he sees food and swimms around for a few min and sits down in a corner again for hours. Might it be a illness or is he just overwhelmed by it?

submitted by /u/sylf97
[link] [comments]

Is this a comet or a common?? Bought these feeders last week that I’m temporarily housing in a tank while I plan a container pond.

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 08:55 AM PST

Goldfish spawned

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 05:03 PM PST

My fancy goldfish just laid eggs on the plants in my 45 gallon. I plan on getting a long plastic tub with a sponge filter. Any advice before they hatch in a few days?

submitted by /u/fjifhfsjjsjd
[link] [comments]

I need help! My husband got me this goldfish from Petco last night, well it just died. What are some reasons why it died? I want to know if I did something wrong

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 12:20 PM PST

Shubunkin, I tried to recover it... help me understand

Posted: 16 Jan 2020 03:36 AM PST

Shubunkin, I tried to recover it... help me understand

Apologies for the long post.

I'm grieving the sudden demise of a Shubunkin fish, which always had swim bladder problems and trying to understand what happened and where I could have gone wrong.

How it started:

  • Shubunkin fish kept in the pond; Had signs of swim bladder problems the day I bought it. Often swimming backwards, flipping, flashing etc…
  • As the weather became colder, around November time, I noticed it lying on its side in the pond not floating.
  • The 3 other fish (Shubunkins) were/are doing great in the pond.

Initial recovery phase:

  • I took it out of the pond with the water and quickly set up a 6 litre hospital tank (no filter system) and manually did daily full water changes once or twice a day with dechlorinated tap water and epsom salt.
  • Kept it in a fasted state for a few days and gradually started feeding it de-skinned peas. It's poo was white and stringy.
  • Within a week, saw an improvement. It became upright again, however still unable to float and would move at the bottom of the tank. Would also sometimes flip and splash near the surface.
  • Couple of weeks passed and I put in a small filter and did water changes after every few days.
  • Nitrite was around 0.25 - 0.5 ppm and Nitrate was near 10-20ppm.

New tank and set up:

  • 2 weeks after I bought a new tank, long (60cm) and filled with 15-17 litres of water. Transferred the old water, filter and fish. Later added some gravel and a piece of driftwood in the tank.
  • Water changes at this point were 50% and once or twice week.
  • Food was one de-skinned pea and one stick a day.
  • No signs of white, stringy poo. Would still flip and splash about near the surface.
  • Fish was in this tank for approximately a month and half.
  • Nitrite and Nitrate was similar to above, and this is the only time I did the ammonia test with a liquid kit, which came between 0.25 to 0.5 ppm.
  • Ph was in the 7s.

Recovery in full swing (finally started to float):

  • Later I put in aquarium soil, decor and a dried leaf many days after that,
  • A week after it finally floated and started swimming around in the tank. Note; it would still do the backwards swimming sometimes.
  • After a water test, I noticed the PH lowered to the low 6's originally from around 7. Screenshot attached. I decided to remove the driftwood and leaf and put in a low dosage of a PH buffer solution.
  • I also observed the nitrite to be just above 0.5 ppm and nitrate to be just above 20ppm. Screenshot attached.
  • Did a water 50% water change on the day of the results. Also put in some aquarium salt.

Day of the demise:

  • This was 5 days after the last water change. And I was actually going to one later this day.
  • Sitting at the bottom of the tank in the morning, it did this often; Nothing seemed out of ordinary.
  • Came home later in the evening, found my 8 year old with his hands in the tank and gently feeling the fish. This had happened for around 5 minutes.
  • 5-10 minutes later the fish became vertical in the tank, gasping for air, then quickly swam to the corner of the tank where the filter was and violently gasping for air.
  • Flipped on its side, and would not get upright. Then started shaking a lot of and did a white, stringy poo.
  • Swam sideways to find shelter in the ceramic jar in the tank. I tipped it out of the jar, and it was still on it's side; Didn't realise it was dead.
  • Did a quick water test. The Nitrite level was 3 ppm, Nitrate was still above 20 ppm, PH was low a 6. The fish looked lifeless, took the fish out of the water; no reaction. And that was it. I assume the nitrite spike was after.

Couple of thoughts

I completely fail to understand what happened. It was so fast and sudden. I'm puzzled. Could it be the water? Did the water params look out of place in the photo (which I did 5 days ago before it died). I cross referenced the testing strips with other similar products and the various results appear to be in agreement.

Could my child have done something without me realising it? Or perhaps it was just bad timing?

Maybe there was an underlying issue which I never knew about. There always was a swim bladder issue.

I regret not doing ammonia checks, I was purely focused on nitrite and nitrate. I assumed that's all I needed to follow, the API 5 in 1 strip kit made it feel like that. The PH eventually was in the low 6s, that makes me assume the ammonia would not have been toxic.

When the fish finally started floating and swimming, that seemed like the best indicator that I had done things right. And if I continued this way, I would have given it a full recovery and ready to go back in a larger tank or even back in the pond in the warmer months.

Your advice and expert opinions would be greatly appreciated. It's really heartbreaking and I'm finding it very difficult to let go, especially when there was such a positive sign.

https://preview.redd.it/zl3wpb1fn4b41.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=08ac11182b306767c02d4c734e6729868ac7cdee

submitted by /u/awaismuzaffar
[link] [comments]

Ammonia spike?

Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:55 PM PST

My tank was cycled! I grabbed my old media and put it on my new tank as advised, and for a long time my parameters where great! (7.6 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates 5ppm-10ppm).. but now my ammonia decided to spike up, everything else stayed the same (ph, nitrites and nitrates)... before i noticed the ammonia i did a 50% water change, did one yesterday and today... yet its still green (i use prime). What should i do? Should i buy beneficial bacteria?

submitted by /u/MirnyMojito
[link] [comments]

Any ideas on what this could be?

Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:15 PM PST

Some background: I have a comet goldfish that was rescued with around 20 others from a fair. The original conditions were harsh and all the fish lived in a small plastic baggy that we were told (cannot confirm) was changed daily so they had clean water. Only 3 of the original 20 something survived, mine being one of them (a group of 6 friends and I had split them so we each had 2-3 fish to care for). My other 2 died within the first hours of being out of the fair grounds. My 3rd, ironically named Comet, is still alive. It's been around 6 months since we rescued him. He is extremely active and friendly, and enjoys when guests pushed around a toy ball he has in his tank (he will push the ball towards guests in attempt to get them to play). He has an 8 gallon tank with a filter and water heater (he stays in my room which gets very cold during winter and lowers water temperatures significantly).

My problem: My main issue is a sudden spike of ammonia in his tank for seemingly no reason. I check the levels almost 2 times a week, and they were at 0 3 days ago. But since around 2 days ago, my very active fish has been lying on the floor of his tank not moving much and not showing interest in food of any kind. I rechecked his ammonia levels today and was shocked to seem them around .75 mg/L. I immediately moved him into a 3 gallon "treatment tank" that I keep set up incase of events like this (I check ammonia levels for this tank every other day and they are currently fine). Since moving him he's already improved and is acting more like his usual self, but I was wondering and anybody had any ideas as to what could have caused such a large spike in about a day and a half?

submitted by /u/SnakeBinch
[link] [comments]

Should I add any chemicals to my tank?

Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:38 AM PST

Hi all, I was just wondering, is there anything I should be adding to my tank to make sure my fish (right now I got one goldfish and a little catfish in a 10 gallon) are healthy? I was at Petco the other day and was looking at everything they have and was wondering. Also I did a water test and the nitrate was high so I did a partial water change and now the nitrate was borderline of unsafe looking at the chart on the box. I was thinking I should add something. Oh I also have 2 small sword plants (I was thinking of adding another type if plant cause I read it helps). Thanks.

submitted by /u/Darthmambo
[link] [comments]

Setting up new tank — water too cold

Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:45 AM PST

I'm upgrading my 4 fancies from a 55 gallon to a 75 gallon tank. Right now, I have both setup and running to allow the new tank to cycle without fish and with plants/substrate/media from the original tank. I filled up the 75 gallon all the way with water from the hose and treated with tap water conditioner yesterday.

My concern is that the water in the new tank is too cold at 65.5 F. My 55 gallon with fish is around 69-70 F so I want to get the new tank as close to that as possible when I finally transfer them. Will the temp gradually come to room temp on its own or do I need to do something to help it? I have glass lids on top and no heater since fancies don't typically need them. The house heater is usually set to about 70-72 F.

submitted by /u/miaspeakman
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.