Crayfish My Mexican blue dwarf were finally big enough to catch to put in their new tank, their old tank is for my cpo crays, hopefully they start to breed soon.


My Mexican blue dwarf were finally big enough to catch to put in their new tank, their old tank is for my cpo crays, hopefully they start to breed soon.

Posted: 09 Jan 2020 03:10 PM PST

Fernedad out for the kill

Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:06 PM PST

is a 20 gallon big enough for one crayfish?

Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:42 PM PST

I'm debating over whether or not to get a small shrimp colony or one crayfish. I have a 20-gallon tank (12" by 24")

will this work for one crayfish?

submitted by /u/woodstock1aj
[link] [comments]

Advice to a brand new cray parent?

Posted: 09 Jan 2020 11:03 PM PST

Last year I fell in love with the crayfish Petco labels as 'blue lobster' and have had them in the back of my mind since... finally got to a living situation where I could get one for myself!

I bought her from Petco. She's just short of 3 inches long when she stretches out. She's definitely a girl. I have had her for two days, and I've named her Petrus.

My setup is a ten gallon tank, furnished with a jar for her to hide in and five artificial plants. The jar has plenty of room for her to either hang out partially hidden or retreat completely from view. Half of the substrate is sand because I read that she would like to dig through sand, and half is smooth, river-rock style gravel.

I have an undergravel filter with a bubble tower/carbon cartridge to keep the water aerated, and a sponge filter with a little waterfall on the back of the tank for cleanliness.

I also bought a really small aquarium heater designed for betta bowls, and right now it is keeping the aquarium at a steady 78 degrees.

To treat the water, I used 5mL of a standard water neutralizer/conditioner, a tsp of a dissolving powder ammonia blocker that prevents the pH from dropping below 7.0, and a few drops of Melafix just to make sure that she was protected from any junk she could have picked up from living in a constantly changing community tank at Petco.

I set up the tank, treated the water, started the filter and heater and let it all run for a while before I bought and added the crayfish.

Petrus is the only creature that lives in the tank and I don't plan on adding anyone else - I just wanted the "lobster"!

For food, I currently have omnivorous wafers, algae granules, and freeze dried shrimp. I sprinkled a few of the granules into the sand (it matches perfectly in texture) so that as she digs through the sand she will find edible bits to enjoy. I've given her two of the wafers per day so far, and plan to supplement with the occasional shrimp as a treat.

I think that so far she is doing well! As I said, she has lived here for two days. She has absolutely devoured all the wafers I have given her. She is definitely active and has explored the whole tank - I even saw her swim up to investigate the filter (but I don't think she liked it because she ran right back down). Yesterday she spent a ton of time dragging through the sand and kicking it up. Today she has spent a lot more time in her cave but she has still come out for her food and some walks around.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can make things even better for her? Does everything I have done so far sound right?

Also, a couple specific questions:

When she kicks through her sand, some of it gets bubbly and will rise to the top of the aquarium and then the bubbles pop and the sand sinks back down. I think it's pretty entertaining and since the sand is white, it lands on her and looks like snow which is cute. But often, she gets these sandy bubbles stuck under her tail and walks around with a sand pocket more often than not and I just wanted to make sure that is not at all harmful to her.

In my research I have seen a lot of varying temperatures recommended - everything from 65 to 80. Do you think she is at a good temperature at 78?

Eventually, when she gets fully settled in and a little bolder, I would like to occasionally get a small fish for her and watch her hunt. Can you advise on species for that and the safest way to do that? Should I worry a lot about where they come from? What about ghost shrimp - would they make a good lobster snack, or are fish better?

Next - do I need to be adding calcium to her diet somehow, and if so, what is the best way to do that?

And last question - she is very aware of when I come in the room, but her response varies. Sometimes she goes up against the glass and waves a claw like she wants to threaten me, but sometimes when I come in she immediately bails into her jar. Any idea what causes the difference? Any way I can encourage or reassure her to be bolder? The attack thing is my favorite :P

Thank you so much in advance for helping out me and Patrus!

submitted by /u/shksprspuck
[link] [comments]

Matriarch Latifa surveying her land

Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:30 AM PST

My newly arrived dwarf cray already took a pellet!

Posted: 09 Jan 2020 10:05 AM PST

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.