Aquatic Snails Gave him a green bean for the first time


Gave him a green bean for the first time

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 11:30 PM PST

Why are my mystery snails doing this constantly?

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 07:14 PM PST

He was eating like this...

Posted: 08 Jan 2020 03:54 AM PST

What are these worm things?

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 05:18 PM PST

Snail food/calcium

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 05:58 PM PST

I keep seeing cuttlebone recommended for a calcium source. Like the same stuff given to birds?

Also, not going to lie. I don't want to make snello. Is this something I can purchase somewhere? Does it smell? Go bad? Shelf life?

submitted by /u/Muffin-sangria-
[link] [comments]

It appears that one of my mystery snails laid eggs. Now what?

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 09:08 PM PST

Hi all! I just noticed a clutch of eggs on the underside of my tank lid. I think they got there yesterday or today but I'm really not sure and they don't look particularly moist. Is there any chance these eggs are viable? What should I do?

submitted by /u/TheRogueGinger
[link] [comments]

How often are you supposed to feed snails in a heavily planted tank?

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 08:31 PM PST

I've been looking around and I see people saying to feed them a little bit every day, or every few days, but that...seems like way too much?

For context, I have a ~10 gallon tub that started with 6 ramshorns and 1 pond snail that I started about four months ago. The surface is always completely covered with salvinia and duckweed and there are a few shoots of anacharis and hornwort underneath that. At first I fed them maybe once a week, just like a tab of algae wafers or something, and I have a slowly disappearing piece of cuttlebone in the tub as well.

However, I stopped feeding them as much because I was afraid I'd accidentally overfeed them, as there is no filter in the tub and only an aerator. Despite cutting back on feeding, the snails kept reproducing (especially recently), and they aren't even really grazing on the cuttlebone either.

Now I haven't fed them in over 3 weeks and there are (by my estimate, which is probably inaccurate because some snails are most likely hiding in the detritus or in the thick mat of plants) ~20+ baby snails in there, surprisingly mostly pond snails but also some ramshorns. Far, far more egg sacs have been laid, but I think the other snails eat them.

So how often am I supposed to feed them? Now the only thing I do is add a teensy bit of Seachem flourish to keep my plants green every few weeks (I think there isn't enough iron in the water). I've read that the snails will eat decaying plants, but is that enough for them to survive off of? All the snails from the start are alive, and they've grown much larger since I got them.

Also, random note: I've had two baby snails (maybe more, but I didn't catch them and there aren't any dead snails outside of the tank) crawl out of the waterline and kind of get trapped there. I'm not sure if they do this often and usually crawl back and I just haven't seen those ones, or if something's wrong, but none of the other snails (including the big ones) ever leave the water (as far as I've seen). Maybe they got disoriented and trapped?

submitted by /u/MINECRAFT_BIOLOGIST
[link] [comments]

My biggest Ramshorn- is this healthy growth?

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 08:31 AM PST

Is this a nerite??

Posted: 07 Jan 2020 08:46 AM PST

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.